Easy To Moderate
5 to 6 Days
Best time to visit
Lotus Adventure Presents “The Kedarkantha Trek”!
Basic Information About The Region:
Region :- Uttarakhand
Duration:-5 to 6 Days
Grade :- Difficult
Maximum Altitude :- 12,500 Ft.
Approx Trekking Distance :-20 Km.
Temperature:- -5 to -30 degrees celsius
Basic Information About The Trek!
- Kedarkantha Trek is one of the most beautiful snow trekking destinations in India during the winters because of the beauty of falling snow.
- Trekkers consider it as the most fascinating treks full of thrill, adventures and challenges.
- It is covered with snow during winters and offers a mesmerizing view of the beautiful Himalayan peaks.
- Trekkers get to experience the charming view of villages, grasslands, snow paths, lovely lakes and ponds, attractive Himalayan mountain peaks.
- The best time to do this trek is from December to April. This is because of the beautiful snow-covered mountains, lush green landscape, frozen lakes and ponds.
- This trek is also one of the least expensive tours that can be enjoyed easily and comfortably by people.
Important Things To Be Noted!
It is better to avoid this trek during the monsoons as it can be a little dangerous.
Here are some of the important places covered:
- Kedarkantha Base
- Kedarkantha peak
- Hargaon Camp
Day 1 - Dehradun to Sankri
Height: 6,400 feet
Distance- 220 km by drive
Time Taken- 9 to 10 hours
- You will be picked up from Dehradun early in the morning.
- Reach Sankri in the evening.
Day 2 - Sankri to Juda-ka-Talab
Altitude-Maximum 9,100 feet
Distance-4 kms by trek.
Time duration- approx 5 hours
- Start from Sankri and cover a trek of approx 4 km through dense pine forests, streams and beautiful grasslands.
- Reach Juda Ka Talab after 5 hours.
- Overnight stay in Juda-ka-Talab.
Day 3 - Juda-ka-Talab to Kedarkantha Base
Altitude:10,000 to 11,000 feet
Distance-4 kms by trek
Time- approx 2 to 3 hours.
- Starting from Juda-Ka-Talab, the trek will mostly be on a hill where you will pass through various grasslands.
- You will be able to see various famous peaks like Swargarohini, Kala Nag, Bandarpoonch etc .
- Reach Kedarkantha base and enjoy your overnight stay in camps.
Day 4 - Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha peak, then move to Hargaon
Maximum Height- 12,500 feet
Time-approx 7 hours
- After spending some time at the base, climb up to the kedarkantha peak.
- Then there is a descent towards Hargaon
- Reach Hargaon in the evening
- Enjoy your overnight stay in Hargaon in tents.
Day 5 - Hargaon camp down to Sankri
Altitude: Hargaon(9000 feet) to (Sankri 6,400 feet)
Distance- 6 kms trek
Maximum time taken-3 to 4 hours
- Hargaon(9000 feet) to (Sankri 6,400 feet)
- From Hargaon camp move down towards Sankri through dense pine forests.
Day 6 - Departure to Dehradun
Distance: 220 km (by drive)
Time duration-10 hours approx
- Altitude- From Sankri we will depart towards dehradun which is a 220 km drive and will take from 9 to 10 hours.
- You will be dropped off at Dehradun station.
Kedarkantha Trek Overview
Decorated with a beguiling magnificence of falling snow and bordered with pine trees, the Kedarkantha Peak, at 12,500 ft., is a standout amongst the sought-out snow trekking destinations in India. The drive to Kedarkantha takes you through Dehradun and Mussoorie, the path steeped in unsurpassed beauty, charming villages, vast stretches of meadows, the verdant greenery, lush landscapes, a myriad collection of flora and frozen ponds, tranquil rivers, magnificent views of the great Himalayas.
Do not miss out soaking in the scenic beauty of the remote villages and the simple life of the villagers here, all the way from Sankri to the peak.
About the trekking experience:
- Close to the famous Har ki Dun valley, this trek takes you through Dehradun, Mussorie, Sankri and the numerous villages and towns as you climb the Kedarnath Peak.
- The entire distance covered during the trek is around 23 KM, most of which takes place through the eco-friendly zone.
- An experienced guide will accompany you throughout the trek - walking through sparkling white snow that covers the base of alpine trees making the journey all the more magical.
- Hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner (vegetarian) are all included in the package. If you like exploring different cuisines then you try out the local Garhwali and Kumaoni delicacies in this region.
- Day 1 Reach sankri and stay at surya retreat
- Day 2 Sankri to juda ka talab 3km walk
- Day 3 Juda ka talab to kedarkantha base 3km
- Day 4 Base to kederkanta top and decent to base camp via base camp 6km
- Day 5 Base camp to Sankri 6km via hargao or juda ka talab
- Day 6 After breakfast departure
- Maximum Altitude: 3800 mt
- Summer Temperature: Day: 5°C to 15°C and Night: 2°C to -5°C
- Winter Temperature: Day: -2°C to -5°C and Night: -5°C to -10°C
- Approx. trekking distance: 23 KM
- ATM: Purola has the last ATM point before your trek begins
- Trekking gradient: Easy to moderate
Get in touch with our travel expert
Sankri to Sankri INR 5999
Cost includes -
- All food are veg and as per availability
- Food sankri to sankri
- Room provide 3 for 8 person
- Medical kit
- Experienced and qualified high altitude mountain guide
- Cook and kitchen setup with staff
- All camping tents (A-shaped alpine or some tents), sleeping bag (with inner), mattress (foam/rubber), toilet tent, kitchen tent.
- All food for trek itinerary
- Single use plates and glasses for meals.
- Triple-sharing room in Sankri ( same group)
- Triple-sharing tent during the trek ( same group)
- Entry fee to National Park
- First aid kit
- Dining tent will be provided and All meals will be served in individual tents or dining tent depends due to present condition.
- Participants are requested to bring their individual Sleeping Bag Inner to prevent mixing of inners during trek (we shall provide in case of no arrangement.)
How to reach Sankri from New Delhi
- Board a night bus/train from Delhi to Dehradun
- Buses for Sankri start from the Mussoorie bus stand (different from ISBT Dehradun)
- Private buses start from 5:30 AM and the last bus leaves Dehradun at 8:30 AM
- Uttrakhand State Roadways direct bus to Sankri leaves at 8 AM from Mussoorie bus stand in Dehradun
- On the way, one will cross multiple significant villages of the valley such as Nainbagh, Naugaon, Purola, Mori and Naitwad
What to expect in Sankri -
- Network Connectivity
a. BSNL works best in the area, however, network strength pulsates
b. Internet connectivity is not available in the area
c. Last location for 4G network is near Purola
a. Sankri has many small eating joints where people can enjoy dishes such as 'Daal rice', 'Noodles', 'Bun Omelette', 'Momos', 'Chicken curry rice', etc. Please note that these joints do not have an extensive menu and sometimes don't have all the dishes available as well
b. A medical practitioner along with a dispensary is also available in Sankri
c. Closest hospital is in Purola
a. From April till September, days are warm with temperatures reaching up to 20°C - 25°C and nights are cold with temperature dropping to 10°C - 13°C
b. October to March can be becomes quite cold with temperature reaching even sub-zero levels
What to Carry?
- Shirts / T-shirts – 2/3, Warm shirt/light micro fleece pullover/full sleeve T shirt
- Trekking Pants that are water resistant/repellent and having inside lining for extra warmth- 2
- Windproof/water resistant outer shell (jacket) of good quality with a proper hood
- Down jacket with min 600 fill power rating, Thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater
- Thermal inner wear (upper and lower)
- Woollen cap, Inner fleece gloves, Outer water proof gloves
- Thick woollen socks and regular socks (4 – 5 pairs), Scarf/muffler (optional)
- Comfortable waterproof Trekking/Hiking shoes that come with a thick sole and high ankles
- Camp shoes such as sneakers/sport shoes
- Raincoat / Poncho
- Small light weight towel
- Insulated water bottle and hydration pack (optional)
- Cap / floppy hat to keep the strong sun away from your face, Sun glasses with UV protection and ability to cut the glare (important when traversing through snow)
- Sturdy walking stick / Trekking pole
- Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm
- Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
- Personal toiletries
- Day pack/small bag which you will carry on your back every day and keep your essentials in it
- Carry rain cover for your bags
- Keep a few poly bags or waterproof bags in your bag in which if required you can put your belongings in case of heavy rain