Lotus Adventure Presents “Lamayuru to Alchi via Stakspi La”!
Basic Information About The Region:
Region :- Leh, Ladakh
Duration:- 5 Days
Grade :- moderate to Difficult
Maximum Altitude :- 5154m
Approx Trekking Distance :- 70.9 km approx
Ladakh has always attracted visitors with its beauty that is magical in every season! The captivating mountain peaks, lakes or the scenic valley are the main reasons why tourists like to visit this place. In summers, this region shows the most vibrant colors of nature. While during the winters, the mountain peaks are covered with heavy snowfall!
Some Highlights About The Lamayuru to Alchi trek via Stakspi La:
- This trek is one of the beautiful and well known treks in Ladakh.
- Trekkers get a chance to visit the oldest Lamayuru Monastery. Also, the Alchi Monastery which is known for its Buddhist art.
- The month of February is the most preferred time to cross the river when the ice melts and is at the most stable state.
- There are high mountain passes of Tar La with the most spectacular views.
- This trek gives a chance to visit the most remote villages and dramatic landscapes of Ladakh.
Things To Be Taken Care Of!
Here are some things people need to take care of while taking this trek as prevention is better than cure!
- People should be aware of the extreme ice conditions. The ice can be as dangerous at times due to cracks so you need to find the pathway to cross the frozen river.
- The ice can even be slippery so it should be taken proper care of while walking.
- The temperature is extremely cold and decreases further sometimes. This is why warm and layered clothes are recommended which would help in keeping the body warm and prevent the body from freezing.
- Hiking shoes or gumboots are highly recommended to protect your feet from ice-cold water. It is very important to protect your fingers and toes from extreme cold.
- You should avoid heavy meals during the trek as it leads to tiredness.
Here are some of the important places covered:
- Hinju to Kongskil La
- Sumda Chenmo
- Sumda Choon
Day 1 - Lamayuru to Prinkti La to Wanla
Time: 4 hrs
Distance: 9 km
- Start from the Lamayuru monastery.
- Move towards Prinkti La along the stream.
- Reach the village of Wanla by crossing the small village of Shilla.
- Overnight stay in Wanla
Day 2 - Wanla to Hinju
Time: 5 to 6 hrs
Distance: 16.7 km
- From Wanla, start your journey towards Hinju along the river and crossing various farm houses and green fields.
- Reach Hinju and enjoy your overnight stay in Hinju.
Day 3 - Hinju to Kongskil La to Sumda Chenmo
Time duration: 9 hrs
Distance: 19 km
- Starting from Hinju, cross the Kongskil La to reach Sumda Chenmo.
- Enjoy the beautiful views of Karakoram range and Stok range from the pass.
- Enjoy the overnight stay in Sumda Chenmo.
Day 4 - Sumda Chenmo to Sumda Choon
Time duration: 5 hrs
Distance: 13 km
- Reach Sumda Choon after crossing the river several times. There is one of the oldest Buddhist monasteries that you can visit near Sumda Choon.
- Overnight stay Sumda Choon.
Day 5 - Sumda Choon to Stakspi La to Alchi
Time duration: 8 hrs
Distance: 13.8 km
- Reach the base of the Stakpi La from Sumda Choon village.
- After that there will be a steep ascent to the pass where you can have a spectacular view of the mountains and Ladakh range.
- There is a descent to reach Pullu and to Alchi.
- You can visit the Alchi monastery which is famous worldwide for its interior murals and represent Ladakh’s Indo-Tibetan art.