Best time to visit
Lotus Adventure Presents “The Chadar Trek”!
Basic Information About The Region:
Region :- Leh, Ladakh
Duration:-8 Nights/9 Days
Grade :- Difficult
Maximum Altitude :- 11,100 Ft.
Approx Trekking Distance :- 62 Kms.
Temperature:- -5 to -30 degrees celsius
Ladakh has always attracted visitors with its beauty that is magical in every season! The captivating mountain peaks, lakes or the scenic valley are the main reasons why tourists like to visit this place. In summers, this region shows the most vibrant colors of nature. While during the winters, the mountain peaks are covered with heavy snowfall!
Some Highlights About The Chadar Trek:
- Chadar Trek in Ladakh is totally a unique trek in the Himalayas and proves to be a breathtaking experience for people! It is over the frozen Zanskar River! You get to experience the ultimate thrill of walking on a frozen glass-like river with snow-peaked mountains on both sides. Its landscapes and overall experience will leave an amazing impression in your hearts.
- Your captivating journey starts from the small village of Chilling from where the Zanskar River begins to freeze during the wintertime. There can be some cracks in the ice in some places. Hiking through the snowy rocks and boulders beside the river is the only option to continue your trek at this time.
- The month of February is the most preferred time to cross the river when the ice melts and is at the most stable state.
- It is known as the 'Chadar Trek' because of the formation of the thick blanket of snow. This is one of the most challenging treks in the world.
- The frozen Zanskar river also entices thousands of trekkers from different corners of the world as it is settled deep within the whirly passages of the snow-covered mountains.
- This trek offers a lot of difficult challenges but the best part lies in the fact that you become a part of the Mighty Himalayas!
Things To Be Taken Care Of!
Here are some things people need to take care of while taking this trek as prevention is better than cure!
- People should be aware of the extreme ice conditions. The ice can be as dangerous at times due to cracks so you need to find the pathway to cross the frozen river.
- The ice can even be slippery so it should be taken proper care of while walking.
- The temperature is extremely cold and decreases further sometimes. This is why warm and layered clothes are recommended which would help in keeping the body warm and prevent the body from freezing.
- Hiking shoes or gumboots are highly recommended to protect your feet from ice-cold water. It is very important to protect your fingers and toes from extreme cold.
- You should avoid heavy meals during the trek as it leads to tiredness.
Here are some of the important places covered:
- Shingra Koma
- Somo PaLdar
- Tibb Cave
- NaeraK Camp
- Frozen zanSKar river
- Monasteries of LadaKh
- Night Sky PhotograPhy
- NaeraK Village
- NaeraK Ice Fall (Frozen Waterfall)
Day 1 - Reaching Leh!
- Leh is the second largest district in the county with an altitude- of 3500 meters from sea level.
- You will be reaching the Leh airport on the first day and would be welcomed by its amazing weather, cold crisp breeze and snow capped mountain view!
- You are recommended to take enough rest to adjust to the weather conditions here drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Enjoy your overnight stay at the pre-booked hotel.
Day 2 - Acclimatization
- According to the All Ladakh Tour Operators Association (ALTOA), people doing the Chadar Trek should spend two days in Leh to get their body fully acclimatized to the extreme weather conditions.
- You can rest and acclimatize yourself at high altitude.
- Visit the nearby places for sightseeing. Remember to keep yourself well hydrated and avoiding very high altitude place or pass
- Alcohol and smoking is strictly prohibited.
Day 3 - Medical Check Up
- All Ladakh Tour Operators Association (ALTOA) has made it compulsory for all the trekkers to go through a medical check-up at the Sonam Norbu Memorial Hospital.
- People who are physically fit are only permitted to do the trek.
Day 4 - Leh to Shingra Koma
- Drive to Shingra Koma which is 70 km and will take about 3 to 4 hours.
- A trek of 3km, 2 hrs.
- You are required to carry at least 2 litres of water with you.
- Gumboots are compulsory every time.
Day 5 - Visiting The Tibb Cave
- Altitude- 10,800 ft.
- Trek of 12 to 15 km which will take about 5-7 hrs.
- Hot breakfast and Lunch.
- Remember to keep warm water with you before you leave.
- Heading towards the Tibb Cave, you will come across the frozen waterfalls that are beautiful!
- Also, you will experience different rock patterns that shine distinctively when sun rays fall on them.
Day 6 - Tibb Cave to Nerak
- Altitude- 10,800 ft to 11,100 ft.
- Trek of 13 km which takes about 6-7 hrs.
- Take your thermos filled with warm water.
- Hot Lunch is served on the way to Nerak.
- You will get to see frozen waterfall which is eye catchy.
- Nerak village is visited after covering the Nerak Camp
- Nerak is the coldest site on the trek where temperature can drop down to extreme levels. So you are required to wear proper warm clothing to protect yourself.
Day 7 - Naerak to Tibb Cave
- Altitude- 11,100 to 10,800 ft
- Trek of 13 km which will take 5 to 6 hours
- You will start your journey back to to the Tibb cave after your breakfast.
- You will see the river in a different form on your return journey as it quickly reacts to any change in the temperature.
- You will be seeing a lot of local people wearing the traditional woolen Gonchas.
- Spend the Overnight at camps in Tibb Cave.
Day 8 - Tibb Cave to Shingra Yokma and Drive back to Leh
- Altitude-10,800ft to 10,300 ft
- Trek of 18 km which will take 7 to 8 hours.
- Leave the Tibb Cave and then trek to reach Shingra Yokma via Gyalpo.
- You will get to see high mountains along the trek and can also spot some wild animals like snow leopard if you are lucky enough.
- After reaching Shingra Koma, drive back to Leh and have a warm and pleasant stay at the hotel.
Day 9 - Departure from Leh
After having your breakfast you will be leaving your hotel and depart from Leh!