Lotus Adventure Presents “Rumtse to Tso Moriri Trek”!
Basic Information About The Region:
Region :- Leh, Ladakh
Duration:- 7 Days
Grade :- Level 5
Maximum Altitude :- 5435m
Approx Trekking Distance :- 98 km.
Max Elevation/loss: +3002m/ -2690m
Season-June to October
Some Highlights About Rumtse to Tso Moriri Trek:
- The entire trip from Rumtse to Tso Moriri is regarded as one of the finest treks in Ladakh that will leave you awe-struck.
- This trek takes you through the Changthang region, a high plateau that is situated at the top, it has extraordinary landscapes and stunning lakes like Tso Kar and Tso Moriri.
- This region is home to nomads with their pashmina goats and yaks. It is one of the most exceptional and demanding treks in Ladakh because of the crossing of numerous high passes above 5000m.
Things To Be Taken Care Of!
Here are some things people need to take care of while taking this trek as prevention is better than cure!
- People should be aware of the extreme ice conditions. The ice can be as dangerous at times due to cracks so you need to find the pathway to cross the frozen river.
- The ice can even be slippery so it should be taken proper care of while walking.
- The temperature is extremely cold and decreases further sometimes. This is why warm and layered clothes are recommended which would help in keeping the body warm and prevent the body from freezing.
- Hiking shoes or gumboots are highly recommended to protect your feet from ice-cold water. It is very important to protect your fingers and toes from extreme cold.
- You should avoid heavy meals during the trek as it leads to tiredness.
Here are some of the important places covered:
- Gyamar Barma
Day 1 - Rumtse - Kyamar
Time: 4 hrs
Distance: 10.9 km
- Follow the path to Kyamar which was previously called the salt road. From this valley, the salt from Tso Kar was transferred to Leh and the Indus valley
- The landscapes differ from the rest of Ladakh
Day 2 - Kyamar - Tisaling
Time: 6-7 hrs
Distance: 13.6 km
- You need to go upwards slowly crossing the Kyamar La and you will enjoy the lovely view of the Changthang region
- Head down towards Tiri Doksa which is a temporary shelter for the shepherds.
- Keep going and climb the Mandalchan La and then move down to Tisaling
Day 3 - Tisaling - Ponganagu
Time: 6 hrs
Distance: 14.3 km
- Follow the path as you gradually begin to gain elevation towards the Shibuk La
- Adore the striking view of Tso Kar lake from the pass
- Head down to Ponganagu near Tso Kar lake
- The place is widely known to notice the existence of wildlife habitat which includes the migratory birds, Kiang(wild asses), and marmots and ibex.
Day 4 -Ponganagu - Nuruchan
Time: 6 hrs
Distance: 17.9 km
Elevation Gain/Loss: +173m/-145m
- You can take a walk along the west side of Tso Kar lake where you might spot animals like black-necked cranes and brahmini ducks.
- Tso Kar is also known as "white lake" due to the salt that gets settled on its banks
- Then you can walk to Nuruchan.
Day 5 - Nuruchan - Gyamar Barma
Time: 7-8 hrs
Distance: 19.5 km
- In this route, you will be crossing two passes i.e, Horlam Kongka La and Kyamayuri La in order to reach Gyamar Barma
- Amidst the way, you will meet numerous families of nomads with their yaks, goats, and sheep.
Day 6 - Gyamar Barma - Gyamar
Time: 3 hrs
Distance:,/b> 5.7 km
- Once you cross the Kartse La, head down towards the Gyamar valley
Day 7 - Gyamar - Yalung Nyau La- Korzok
Time: 6.5 hrs
- Come across the Yalung Nyau La, which is the highest pass of the trek. You get a wonderful view of Tso Moriri lake from the top.
- Then head down to Korzok village on the bank of Tso Moriri. How to travel to or from the trek?
It nearly takes about 2 hours to drive from Leh to Rumtse(80Km) and takes 7 hours to drive from Korzok to Leh(215km).
It is worth Taking some extra time to stop and visit some highlights of the area.
Note-Your air fare is NOT included.